Monday 31 December 2012

Turkey Pot Pie Soup
I just love soup!
It nourishes the tummy and the soul
It's a great start to any meal or it can be a light meal in itself.
I love this time of the year because I can only make this soup once or twice a year. 
I buy a huge turkey just so that I can make different meals with the leftovers.
This is my turkey vegetable soup that I make and invite my friends over to eat after the Holidays spent with the family.
Experiment and try any variety of vegetables that you like~
 
1 cooked turkey carcass, most of the meat removed
2-3 cups tomato juice
3 cups boiled cabbage*(I like to boil my cabbage separately so that is makes digestion easier)*
2 carrots, peeled, diced
1 celery rib, cleaned, diced
1 large onion, peeled, diced
1 bag of Cooking Greens Designer Blend
1/2 cup each lentils and chick peas, precooked and drained
1 potato, peeled, diced
1/2 cup rinsed rice
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp rosemary, dried or fresh
1 zucchini
salt & pepper to taste
baguette
 
Place the turkey carcass into a large stockpot, add juice and fill with water to 3/4 full. Place on high and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a strong simmer #7.  Skim any foam that rises to the top.
 
As the broth continues to cook on low prepare all the vegetables by chopping and setting aside. Allow the broth to cook for 1 1/2hrs.
 
Remove the carcass onto a baking sheet and allow to cool. When cooled carefully pick off the softened meat and place back into the pot, discard the bones.
 
To the pot, add all of the remaining ingredients except the zucchini and cook on med. low for another hour until all vegetables and legumes are completely softened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Continue skimming soup when needed. 
Add the zucchini and cook for another 1/2hr. 
 
*If the soup reduces too much add more water and continue to cook
 
Thinly slice the baguette and toast the slices, 1 to 2 pieces per person. Toast until crisp, place on bottom of dish and ladle the soup ontop of the crisps to soften.
 
*I like to cook my cabbage and legumes first as this allows for easier digestion. If you do not have digestive problems cut fresh cabbage and cook inside the soup*
 
Enjoy with love.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment