Tuesday 21 May 2013

Guacamole Salsa
I have to admit, I enjoy Guacamole!
Many of us do!
But for me, if it's all mashed like many Guacamole's are I WILL eat the whole container.
Most of us are not aware of what portion sizes should be and where the hidden fats are.
Avocados are a monounsaturated fat full of Omega 3's
It is a very healthy item but, with added tortilla chips it can become an excessive caloric item.
I decided to make it into a chunky salsa so that I would spoon it over my entree like a
"dressing"
This way I would have the benefits of moisture to my meal with the nutritional content and without all of the extra calories
Win Win Situation
Don't you agree?
This is very simple to make and you can go wild with any flavour boosters.
Here's my version today!
 
3 ripe avocados
1 tbsp chopped onion
2 tbsp chopped parsley or cilantro
1/2 large tomato, diced
salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lime, juiced, zested if you want more citrus punch!
 
Cut into the avocado along the whole length to the pit. Twist the avocado and pull apart.
 
With one swift movement "hit" the knife blade onto the pit. It will stick to it. Twist the knife and pop out the pit. Lightly bang the pit into the side of the sink, I have a recycling basket, pop off the pit.
 
With the tip of the knife, run 1/2" lines lengthwise and crosswise into the avocado, do not cut through the shell. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon, giving you perfect cubes. Continue for all of the halves.
 
Toss the tomato, avocado, herb, oil, salt and pepper into a bowl and enjoy.
 
Cover to refrigerate until needed. Use within a few hours. It will darken if you have leftovers but it is still edible.
 
Enjoy with love!
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment